New Banner3

I Have Never...

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Old Friends

"I Have Never been good at keeping in touch."

I got a call from my Uni mate Dan a couple of days ago. He was in town for the week on business and suggested we catch up.

Now, I've probably not seen my Uni mates for the best part of 18 months at least. There's no good reason for this neglect. I guess that the theatre takes up pretty much all of my spare time (plus the time I now dedicate to bloggin daily).

With Dan and his fiance Jane it's understandable we don't see each other. He lives down South, and it would really involve a weekend away. My other Uni mate Jim (plus girlfriend Eilidh) is a bit more difficult to explain. They live 10 minutes walk away from my flat...

Jim used to be my flat mate. I still have his TV. His sofas. His microwave. He's never come to collect them.

When we were at Uni we had our Chemistry course in common. Since, though, I've been leaning more and more towards the Arts, while Jim is seriously into his sports. Our interests are completely opposing.

Another thing. I think I'm the only one who calls him Jim. To everybody else he's James. I think he prefers James. Thing is, I have this curious need to abbreviate my mate's names to three letters.

Yes, I know. No logic. Dan. Jim. Ric. It made sense to me.

Anyhow, I'd agreed to meet up with the four of them for a meal. We chose The Arc, a local fashionable winebar. Not really my type of place, but it does pretty good food.

Jim and Eilidh were already there when I arrived just after 7pm. Dan and Jane were right behind me. Jim instantly informed us he had a 5-a-side match in an hour's time so would be able to have a main course and then meet us for drinks later.

I ordered a lovely Sweet Chilli King Prawn Pizza (like having a chinese and italian meal wrapped into one). Felt a bit like the odd one out. Here were these two couples who have both been together for over 5 years now. Maybe this is the reason why I don't see more of them. That sense of 'the settled couples' is not a place I have reached yet... and don't see in the horizon. I muttered something about the 'pretend marriage' I had been involved with last year (have I talked about that? Maybe another time), and instantly realised that it was a feeble attempt to slot in.

"Why do I want to slot in?"

The more I observed, the more I thought I was pretty happy on my own in comparison. Both couples clearly had little niggles with their respective partners, a problem that I am not faced with.

It was a revelation. One I'll have to ponder.

Come the end of the night, we said our goodbyes. Jim mentioned his 30th birthday celebrations in a month. I'll see if I get an invite... Otherwise I'll probably see them next when Dan and Jane get married in August 2006.

FYLP
Beck:Guero - A return to the style and feel/immediacy of Odelay. Welcome back from the wilderness fella!
Highlight: Girl

1 comment(s):

You might get to see you before August 2006 Ric. :-)
Cheers,
Dan.

P.S. I hope your blog continues

By Blogger danormsby, at 11:09 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home