New Banner3

I Have Never...

Friday, April 22, 2005

Gutted...

"I Have Never been as disappointed by an answer machine message."

The results of my audition came through on my phone today. I think the title of this post says it all. No cigar (and I expect not even close).

Bugger.

Still, it's not the worst thing I've got through my mobile. That would have been just over a year ago (March 6th 2004)...

I had the role of 'Inspector' in Christie In Love by Howard Brunton. Ironically, it was also directed by Iain who has just put my theatrical plans for the next month into turmoil (yes, I know - chickens, hatched etc. Bad Me!).

I have never been as pleased by a performance I have given as I was in that show. However, I didn't invite my parents because of the subject matter. Also, dad was performing with his choir on the Saturday performance.

I knew Grandpa wasn't well. He'd not been well since Christmas. I thought I'd get down to Birmingham to see him once the play was over. I was so deeply involved. This was the part I had put my all into. The theatre had been closed for renovation work since Christmas, and we were the show which would re-open it. Through tight direction ('Don't act, BE etc.'), I had managed to dispense with my 'thinking face' (a gurning trick I would pull on a bizarrely regular basis, which in no way could be representative of thinking, but more related to some form of internal constipation).

Grandpa could wait.

So I thought.

I came off stage after the second and final night triumphant. Dashing downstairs, I got out of my 1950's get up. Took a razor to the (perculiarly) ginger moustache I had cultivated for the role. Got back into my casual gear, ready for a night out with the rest of cast and crew. Got myself a bottle of beer. Chatted with pals for a couple of minutes, then remembered I'd left my mobile on silent. Went to switch it back to ring, to discover I had 3 texts which had arrived through the evening. They were from my sister, and ran something along these lines...

"Grandpa's taken a turn for the worse. Me and mum are with grandma."

"We're at the hospital."

"Grandpa has just passed away."

Just recounting it brings a lump to the throat. I was outside, I remember that much. My back to my friends, reading the last text over and over...

I just turned around. Kat (for regular readers, my chum who is currently in Barcelona) was stood there. I'd told her about Grandpa not being well... I think that she was the only one I'd told.

She gave me a hug.

I can't thank her enough...

"When has someone been there for you when you least expected? Do you have a good samaritan?"

2 comment(s):

Seems that death is never convenient. Must have been a shock and I'm sure your grandfather will be missed. Even though we have never met, your post touches emotions in me and makes me wish I could just give you a hug and tell you I care. Glad Kat was there to give you one.

By Blogger prying1, at 3:37 am  

Your welcome hun. I feel priviliged to have been in the right place at the right time for you.
I can empathise with the idea of putting things or people off til another day and that's why I make a greater effort to keep in touch with my gran and do the things she wants me to.It's not easy tho, and sadly I still refer to it as a hassle.Looking after her at christmas was, shall we say, character-building to say the least. But she has been there and contiues to be for me on my year abroad. I've had the most amount of calls from her of all my family and she's always made me feel that should I feel low or have any probs I can call her.It's been a huge help.
v sorry bout u not getting a part. will u shadow direct? I know how keen you were on getting it.Katakus x

By Blogger Katakus, at 10:47 pm  

Post a comment

<< Home